November Workshop Series Event
Who Runs Your City?: Register Now
November 17, 2022 | 6-7:30pm ET
This program is part of LEE's November Workshop Series, designed to take your community leadership skills to the next level.
This 90-minute workshop is your opportunity to learn how to identify the “power players” in your community, and build & leverage your own power to achieve your desired impact in your town. We will discuss:
- who holds power in their community and how to identify those leaders, organizations and communities using power mapping as a tool
- the impact that local offices, such as school boards, can have on a range of issues
- how they can build their own power and leverage their leadership to impact the issues they care about the most.
The workshop will feature a panel with two current school board members in Florida and Virginia who will share their experiences building power within their communities before becoming elected officials and now as they serve in positions of power
Who should attend this workshop?
This program is for LEE members and partners interested in learning more about the civic landscapes in their communities and how to get involved.
This workshop is ideal for you if you are:
- New to LEE or haven't joined a LEE program recently
- Looking to meet other members in the network
- Interested in achieving greater impact as a community/civic leader
- Eager to explore what it takes to be an effective elected leader
Our workshop will offer you the space to meet fellow equity-minded members working toward similar goals, as well hear from leaders and coaches in our network who can support your leadership. This workshop will feature two elected school board members who are both part of the LEE network, Cristina Diaz Torres and Luisa Santos.
Cristina Diaz-Torres joined the Arlington School Board in 2021 and currently serves as Vice-Chair of the Board. Cristina is a former teacher and education policy specialist with experience in the classroom, who gets the data, and who believes every student has a right to succeed. She is a longtime advocate for students in Arlington and has previously served on several key Arlington School Board and County Board commissions.
A proud product of Miami-Dade County Public Schools, education advocate, successful entrepreneur and now the youngest ever School Board Member, Luisa Santos represents everything great about Miami Dade County Public Schools. Luisa’s career narrative as a change-agent, thought-leader, mentor, and education advocate was built on what our public schools taught her. She now serves as an elected leader to ensure all students have an excellent and equitable school experience that sets them up to succeed in the real world.