We need leaders like you at the decision-making table whose perspectives and voices reflect the lived experiences of their constituents. So many strides towards equity and diverse representation in political leadership have been made recently, but at the same time, we continue to experience many steps backwards. The work continues.
LEE seeks to leverage our collective voices and leadership to ensure that our communities are represented, championed, and honored.
Let’s create a more reflective democracy and, together, end inequity in our country.
About the Program
The People of Color Political Leadership Program brings together LEE members who are committed to pursuing elected office to build their skills and confidence through a live learning and networking opportunity. In May 2023, LEE will host this program in-person for members.
Over the course of this three-day program, you will find the support and knowledge you need to make your future as an elected leader a reality in the next one to three years. You will:
- Find the confidence and conviction to start taking the next steps toward actualizing your potential impact as elected leaders.
- Learn the fundamentals necessary to run a successful campaign for elected office.
- Develop strategies to overcome the systemic and psychological barriers that have historically discouraged members of color from engaging in the political process.
This three-day program includes skills building, group activities, discussions, and coaching conversations centered on the unique opportunities that candidates of color face when running for office.
- Application Opens: Feb. 10, 2023
- Application Closes: Mar. 24, 2023
- Program Day #1: Friday, May 5, 2023 | 6-8pm CT
- Program Day #2: Saturday, May 6, 2023 | 9am-5pm CT
- Program Day #3: Sunday, May 7, 2023 | 9am-1pm CT
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Registration is free. LEE is pleased to cover flights, lodging, and workshop meals for all members who attend.
Additional program highlights include:
- Build relationships with LEE members of color with different backgrounds and experiences who are interested in serving in their communities
- Deepen your commitment to running and serving in elected leadership and supporting others in that pursuit
- Gain confidence in your ability to run for and serve in elected office
- Build knowledge and develop skills that are critical for candidates, including messaging and fundraising
Who Should Apply?
All LEE members who identify as people of color and are interested in pursuing elected leadership in the next one to three years are encouraged to apply to our 2023 program.