"We're starting to see more people band together under the umbrella of equity. Students of color are the majority of students in California, so equity is no longer a periphery issue. Equity is THE issue."
— Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith, executive director of The Education Trust-West, joins LEE for the launch of The Leaders' Table podcast. Ryan riffs with Jason Llorenz on advocacy in a very big state, shares advice for future executive directors, and talks about what it takes to make policy with communities, not for them.
Here’s what you’ll get from this episode:
- Ryan on why the most important quality in a leader is the ability to hold steady
- Ryan’s guidance on using bright spot data
- Where to find the intersection of Black Lives Matter and Black Minds Matter
- How to set up programs to welcome, engage and involve families
- Insight from the Ed Trust-West on what is happening for English language learners in California
- What Ryan listens to during his morning workout to get him primed to lead the day
Make sure to subscribe to The #LeadersTablePodcast for more tips, tricks, insights and stories from education changemakers.
Work with a LEE career coach
Ready for a new role in policy or advocacy within the next 12 months? Connect with a LEE career coach to make a plan.